Spending time inside a room without a properly working air conditioner during a heat wave can be downright miserable. Being indoors on a normal summer day without an AC is no different either. It’s uncomfortable and can even be dangerous for young children, the elderly, and those with health conditions.
We always recommend hiring an expert in AC repair Yukon, OK when you think something is wrong with your AC. However, some problems are easy and you can handle them yourself. Here are a few basic AC troubleshooting & repair tips you should know:
- Check the power source
Is your air conditioning unit not turning on? Check the power source. When we say the power source, we don’t just refer to the main switch that powers your AC on and off. However, still, check whether the unit is plugged in or not. Someone might have accidentally plugged it out, or it has come loose.
If it’s plugged in, the next thing you should check is the circuit breaker or fuse. The circuit breaker is usually located in the main electrical panel of your house. It usually has a switch that you can flip on or off. It will automatically turn off when the circuit breaker receives more electric demands than it can handle.
To fix a tripped circuit breaker, turn all appliances off and switch them on. Check the fuse next if the circuit breaker is fine.
Meanwhile, a fuse is usually a small, cylindrical object that can also be found near the main electrical panel. Check whether it has blown out or not. A blown-out fuse will have a dark or discolored appearance. Ask an electrician or your local company offering AC repair Yukon, OK for help if you’re not comfortable handling the issue.
- Check the air filters
Is your air conditioning unit freezing up, not cooling your home evenly, or becoming less efficient? Do the occupants in your property often get allergies when indoors with the AC turned on? You likely have a problem with the air filter.
Air filters capture airborne particles such as dust, pollen, and pet dander. Over time, they can become clogged with dirt, trapping too many of these particles and restricting airflow. This can cause several problems, from making your AC work harder and less efficiently to exacerbating allergies and other respiratory conditions.
If you notice these problems, check your air filters for dirt buildup. You can find this component in front of the return air grill or on the side of the AC unit. The location of your air filters might also be in your AC instruction manual, so read it if you can’t locate this part. Make sure to turn the power off before doing anything with your AC.
After finding the air filters, inspect them for dirt buildup. Hold it against the light. If you can’t see any light passing through it, then it’s time to replace the filter. Depending on how often you use your AC and the type of air filter, you might need to replace it every 30 to 90 days. Note that AC air filters come in different types and have different requirements. So, you have to determine what AC air filter type you have and learn whether it needs repair or replacement.
- Listen to your unit
Strange noises will accompany some air conditioning issues. In case your air conditioning unit is malfunctioning, listen to it carefully. Determine any weird sounds it makes.
Different sounds might indicate various problems. Here are some of the common odd sounds that faulty air conditioners make:
- Hissing – A hissing noise coming from your AC unit is most likely due to a refrigerant leak.
- Clanking – A clanking noise could indicate something loose inside the AC unit, such as a fan blade or component of the compressor. It could also be due to metal expansion or contraction as the AC unit cycles on and off.
- Grinding – A grinding noise coming from your AC unit is likely due to a failing motor.
- Banging – A banging noise is usually due to a dirty air filter or something blocking the airflow through the unit.
- Squealing – A squealing noise could indicate a problem with the compressor, fan motor, or fan blade. It could also be due to metal expansion or contraction as the AC unit cycles on and off.
It’s often hard to pinpoint the issue if you don’t have sufficient knowledge and experience. In this case, it is always best to schedule an AC repair Yukon, OK. An experienced technician will be able to figure out the issue fast.
- Check the thermostat
Is your air conditioning unit not working, or do you feel uncomfortable indoors even when your cooling equipment is turned on? The thermostat is among the components you can check to determine the problem. After all, it is the temperature control of your AC unit.
Here’s how to troubleshoot a malfunctioning thermostat:
- Check whether the batteries need replacing or not. Thermostats usually have batteries that power them up. If these are already depleted, the device won’t work as intended.
- See if it receives power to work. Check the circuit breaker or fuse if they need replacement.
- Check the settings and see if they’re still accurate. The thermostat might have been accidentally turned to “Heat” mode instead of “Cool.”
- Inspect the wiring and connections to ensure they’re tight and secure.
If you can’t fix the problem on your own, ask for professional assistance. Call an AC repair technician in Yukon, OK.
- Pay attention to the smell
When it comes to air conditioning, never ignore any strange smell. Some smells might only be a sign of a minor problem that you can easily fix on your own. But some odors could indicate a serious issue, which often requires professional help.
Here are some of the smells that might come from your Air Conditioning unit and what they could mean:
- Burning plastic – This smell usually indicates an electrical problem. It could be due to a wiring issue or a loose connection. If you notice this smell, turn off the power to your AC unit immediately and schedule an AC repair Yukon, OK.
- Rotten eggs – This smell is often caused by a gas leak, a serious safety hazard. If you notice this odor, evacuate the area immediately and call your gas company.
- Musty smell – A musty or mildew smell from your AC unit is often due to mold growth. This problem must be addressed as soon as possible to prevent the spread of mold spores in your home.
If you notice any strange smell coming from your air conditioner, don’t hesitate to contact an AC repair technician right away. They will be able to diagnose the problem and provide a solution.
- Check for leaks
Do you find puddles of water around your air conditioning system? If so, you should first check the condensate drain line.
The condensate drain line is responsible for carrying away the water that condenses on the evaporator coils. If this line is blocked, water will back up and eventually leak from the AC unit. You can unclog the pipe using a vacuum or let a technician who is experienced and licensed to perform AC repair Yukon, OK handle the task.
In case the line is clear, check the condensate pan. You can find it under the evaporator coils. If it’s rusted or damaged, you have to call a technician to replace it immediately.
Water, however, isn’t the only fluid that could leak from your AC unit. The refrigerant can also leak. But you have to call a professional to deal with this type of AC leak.
Get Your AC Fixed Fast With The Help Of Our AC Repair Experts Tyler, TX
While we provide you with basic troubleshooting tips to use when your AC is acting up, we don’t recommend a DIY repair. Your best course of action is to always consult with a professional AC repair technician in Yukon, OK. AC diagnosis and repair are more complex than you think. The process also carries certain risks. If you’re not experienced or licensed to work with AC units, you could end up causing more harm than good.
At Triple Play Home Services, we have a team of highly trained and experienced AC repair technicians who are ready to help you get your AC unit back up and running. We understand the importance of having a working AC unit, especially here in Yukon, OK where the summers can be brutal. That’s why we offer fast and efficient AC repair Yukon, OK that will get your unit fixed as quickly as possible.
You can count on our team for fast and accurate diagnosis. We’ll also repair your unit properly the first time.
If you need AC repair Yukon, OK, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Schedule an appointment online or call us at 405-283-3977. We’ll happily provide you with a free estimate for our services.